Here’s yet another Alder – number five to be precise! It’s made of yet another Art Gallery voile, this one from Leah Duncan’s Gramercy line. The print is called City Lights in Night. I’d had my eye on it for a while and was delighted to discover that it could fit in with my plan to take home all the dark, printed voiles this summer. I do love the print, but the hand of this voile is much different than the two other Art Gallery voiles I have. It seems stiffer and stickier. I’m guessing it’s the fault of the black dye, which is known to wreak havoc. So if I’ve inspired you to buy the whole catalog of dark printed Art Gallery voiles, be aware that this one is not quite as magical as the others. It’s still light and breezy and good for keeping as cool as possible in summer, but it’s not the wondrous fabric that led me on my dark printed voile quest.
I really don’t have much to say about this dress that I didn’t say in my post about my Liberty Alder. Like that dress, I also straightened the hem on this dress instead of using the shirttail-style hem of the pattern. The only thing I have to say about this one that I didn’t say about the other is that the armhole on this one is a bit higher than my other Alders, thus making it a bit uncomfortable. This happened because I forgot to use a 1/2″ seam allowance on the shoulder seams and instead used a 5/8″ allowance. You wouldn’t think that 1/8″ would make much of a difference, but it really does! The Liberty Alder armholes are high, but not as uncomfortably so as these.
I mentioned in my post about the Liberty Alder that I wanted to shorten the back bodice for future versions. Since I made this one at the same time as that one, I didn’t make that change. I’ll have to remember when I make it again, and I definitely will. I’m thinking I might need a long-sleeved version for the fall.
These buttons are not very thrilling, sorry! They’re just from Joann’s. I had such a hard time deciding on buttons, though. I thought maybe yellow, but I couldn’t find a yellow I liked. Blue was my second choice, but these buttons only match the blue of the dress in certain lights/at certain angles. So not the best option, but in my seven dress making frenzy, I didn’t have time for a trip to Soutache, which is further from me than Joann’s and has less convenient hours.
And that’s the tale of dress four of seven. I have three more to show you (basic math, ya’ll), then I can move on to the two dresses I’ve made since. My output has slowed down significantly since the seven dress making frenzy, perhaps understandably so. In addition to being a little sewed-out, I’ve also been working on a really annoying dress that doesn’t inspire me to sit down at the sewing machine. I hope it will turn out to be great dress, but the sewing of it is driving me nuts. I forgot one of the lessons I learned when I sewed more in the month of January than I had all last year: if I’m not happy sewing something, give it a break and move on to something else. I have this resistance to changing the thread in my machine and serger for some reason. Sewing machines are easy to thread and I have an air-threaded serger, so there’s really no excuse. I told myself in January that I just needed to rethread my machines if it meant I got to work on something more exciting, and I need to remember that so I don’t get hung up on one annoying dress!