Warning: Declaration of Suffusion_MM_Walker::start_el(&$output, $item, $depth, $args) should be compatible with Walker_Nav_Menu::start_el(&$output, $item, $depth = 0, $args = Array, $id = 0) in /homepages/22/d401094450/htdocs/wp-content/themes/suffusion/library/suffusion-walkers.php on line 39
Dec 222015

Apparently I started the draft of this post on October 4th.  Yikes.  The semester that just ended nearly killed me.  I’ve never worked so tirelessly in my life, and I feel like I’m never going to recover.  I read over 2000 pages of student writing and had to comment on most of it, so it wasn’t like I was skimming.  I had 125 students, the most I’ve ever had, and I had three different classes to prep.  I hardly know what to do with all my free time over the winter break!  In theory, I want to sew, but I’m still so exhausted that I haven’t done much since we got back from visiting my mom in Florida a week ago.

I didn’t really get much sewn this semester.  The dress I’m going to talk about today was sewn before the semester started and was my first day of class dress.  I always like to make a new dress for the first day of class because I’m silly.  To my students, any dress I wear will be new, but it makes me happy to have a new-to-me dress!  During the regular semester, I think the only two things I actually finished were a Minoru coat and a corduroy 6696, and the 6696 isn’t quite finished.  It needs sleeves, but I’ve worn it with a sweater because I have a mustard sweater that I think looks awesome with the teal corduroy I chose, plus I was determined to wear my fall corduroy dress in the fall!


Anyway this is Simplicity 1803, which is a Project Runway pattern with a bunch of different bodice options.  It only has one skirt option, though, which is a gathered skirt.  I’m not the hugest fan of a gathered skirt on me, especially in thicker fabrics like the one I used, so I just used my trusty Belladone skirt, sans pockets.  I regret that choice and wish I’d made it avec pockets, but it’s too late now.  The fabric is barkcloth from Miss Matatabi, and I LOVE it.  I’ve since procured some Jessica Jones Time Warp barkcloth, and it has a very different feel, but I think I’ll like it too.  The barkcloth is nubby and soft, and it’s super comfy to wear.  I’ve worn it with sweaters and tights into the winter, but these photos were taken in August!


As you can see in the photo above, I clearly need to add a bit of length to the front bodice.  I didn’t do an FBA for the bodice because it was fine width-wise, but I obviously needed the extra length of an FBA.


This dress came out a little big, but as I’ve mentioned several times, I’m a fan of slightly big dresses because they’re super comfy.  In the above picture, you can see that I’ve used the back bodice from the Deer and Doe Belladone, which I modified to not have the cutout.  The back bodice for this pattern has a really low scoop, which I don’t like at all on me.

Below you can see the detail of the bodice a bit more clearly.  I wanted to take a closer shot to show the little split in the neck, but my face kept looking so stupid in every picture that I finally just turned my head.  I was probably super stressed that day about teaching stuff.  :/


That’s it for today!  I have another dress that I took photos of but haven’t had time to blog, but those photos are on a computer that had the RAM go bad, so I’m waiting on replacement RAM so I can upload those photos.  Everything is backed up, but the photos are unfortunately not backed up to any of my various cloud backups, so I have to wait to get them off my Time Machine hard drive.  Sigh.  I’m s-l-o-w-l-y working on a winter coat right now, but it doesn’t really matter that it’s taking me so long because we’ve only had a few days where I would have needed it.  I’ve been wearing my trusty Minoru tons and subbing in my puffy coat when it gets too cold.  I do want to get the winter coat done over the winter break, though, so hopefully I’ll be able to post about it soon.