Jul 082014

Friends, I am so excited because in about  half an hour, I’m going to get my hair dyed!  I’ve wanted to dye my hair for forever, but it’s so dark that I’d have to strip color from it first, and I’ve never felt like I wanted to do the maintenance for all that.  But I’m getting to be an old lady and I have quite a few grey hairs now.  Grey hair is awesome and I can’t wait until all of my hair is grey, but for now, the hairs are so few but so noticeable that I’m not really loving the look on me.  I figured since I was going to start dyeing my hair anyway, I might as well take some color out and dye it a color, which is way more fun than just dyeing brown over brown.

The dress I have today is from quite a while ago – I made it before my Summer Sureau and my Simplicity 2648 Belladone mashup .  It’s based on Kwik Sew 3758, but it’s really only the concept at this point, because I took a TON of volume out of the gathered skirt and used my v-neck Renfrew pattern for the top.  So I didn’t even get out the Kwik Sew pattern for this one, but I did get the idea from them!


The top is some kind of doubleknit from Vogue.  Vogue sells these beefy doubleknits I really like called Sophia from Logantex (the same people who make Ambiance bemberg lining, also a fave).  Vogue advertised the doubleknit line above as a cheaper alternative to the Sophia knits.  I think the Sophias are like $13 a yard, and this one was around $5.  It was a great deal and it’s very similar to the Sophia knits, but it’s not quite as beefy.  I decided to be a super cheapskate when I bought it only got a half yard because I knew that would be enough to make this top, plus I didn’t want a ton of leftover.  It turned out that Vogue cut my half yard WAY off grain, so I ended up not having enough to do binding around the armholes – I just barely eked out what I have here from the wonky half yard they gave me.  I ended up just folding the armhole under, which resulted in it being kind of wavy.  It sort of irritates me, but I don’t really want to go back and buy a micro piece of this fabric just to be able to make bindings.  I’m also having some gappage around the armholes that make me think any more tinkering with this wouldn’t be worth it.  I often have wrinkling around the armholes in knits, I think because my upper bust measurement is so different from my full bust measurement.  The next time I make a knit top, I’m going to use Devon’s tutorial for fixing armhole gape.  It looks like it will work well.


So the other thing about this dress that’s bugging me is that I made this obi style belt thing for it, and I think it looks better without it!  Above is the dress with the belt, and the first picture was without.  Now, as we know, I’ve had a moment of clarity regarding belts and decided we were friends.  Maybe not so with obi belts?


Side view without belt.


Side view with belt.  I feel like it emphasizes those weird wrinkles around the bust.


Back without belt.  Looks okay . . .


Back view with belt?  The less we say about that, the better.


If I scrunch up kinda funny, it looks a little better, but still no.

If I wear this with a cardigan, the belt looks okay, so I guess I’m not totally irritated that I spent time making it.  Anyway, it was a simple and straightforward make – Renfrew v-neck cut off at the waist with two gathered rectangles attached.  The gathered rectangles are made from quilting cotton, which I seem to keep buying because I fall for the patterns, but never want to sew because the drape is never what I’m looking for.  But it’s perfect for something like this, so I may have a ton more of this kind of dress in my future!   The specific quilting cotton is Secret Garden Bamboo Pebble in lilac from Nel Whatmore.  I like it, but the colors looked more saturated online when I bought it, and I wish I had the fabric I saw on my computer screen rather than this.

Anyway,  I gotta run so I can get my hair dyed!  See you soon with fun hair color!